Monday, February 14, 2011

The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost... ~ G. K. Chesterton

Valentine's Day has come once more. Last year was different than this year. Last year there was a knock at the front door and a package was delivered with my name on it. Inside there was a gorgeous bouquet of flowers, and but even more special, was the note that came with it. A few months later, I found myself holding a different bouquet of flowers and holding the hand of the man who had won my heart.

This year, there will be no delivery from the flower lady, and I am perfectly happy with that. Because this year, the one who sent the flowers isn't 2,600 miles away from me. I have lovely dinner plans for tonight...instead of going out, we've decided to stay home and have our own candlelit dinner.

And if you haven't decided just what to make for your special someone, I have a recipe to share! Ben was happy that I actually wrote this one down as I cooked...

Lemon Artichoke Chicken

2 Bone-in chicken breasts
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 T Olive Oil
1 Tsp Coarse Sea Salt
1 Tsp Fresh Pepper
1 Tsp Oregano
2 Lemons, thinly sliced\
1/8 C Marinated Artichokes Hearts, diced

Lift skin of chicken without detaching it and stuff with half of the minced garlic. Rub chicken with oil, remaining garlic and sprinkle with spices.

Place lemon slices in a lightly greased pan. Arrange the chicken on top of the lemon and sprinkle with the artichoke hearts. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or until chicken is done.

Garnish with fresh Thyme sprigs.

We paired this dish with caramelized onions and fresh sauteed green beans. Our other side dish is a new favorite here...mashed Japanese sweet potatoes. No picture of those, but the recipe is:

  • 2 Medium Japanese sweet potatoes
  • 3T Butter
  • 1/3 C coconut milk
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Peel potatoes and boil until soft. Drain, and mash until creamy. Add all ingredients and serve immediately.

Dessert is always a highlight, and bread pudding is a hit in our house, especially when there is some leftover sourdough French bread...

4 C Sourdough bread, cut into cubes
3 Eggs
2 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 C Milk
½ C Heavy Cream
1 C Sugar
4 T Butter

Cut bread into cubes and place in bread pan. Combine eggs, vanilla and cinnamon and whisk until blended (this keeps the cinnamon from clumping). Whisk in the milk, cream and sugar and pour over bread. Cut butter into small pats and place on top.

Allow bread to soak for 30 minutes and use a fork to gently push the bread down every 10 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes, or until set.


Rum Sauce

4 T Butter
¼ C Rum
1 C Powdered Sugar
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten

Melt butter in saucepan. Whisk in the sugar (it will be a bit lumpy at this point). Add the rum and whisk until smooth. Add egg yolk and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and drizzle over each serving of pudding.


Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved. ~
William Shakespeare

Happy Valentine's Day!

6 comments:

Jessica McDonald said...

HAPPY Valentine's Day to two of my favorite people in the world. :) Love y'all SO much!! :) <3

P.S. Y'all's dinner looks delicious! I'll send y'all pictures of what we're making for Dad and Mom! Cookbook? STINKING ROSE! *grin*

Mikaela said...

Yum, yum, yum! I'm working on steak, mashed potatoes, artichokes, and cheesecake for dinner (though, I must confess, the cheesecake is of the thaw-before-serving variety). Happy Valentine's Day!

Kathryn Grace said...

Mmmm, that looks sooo good! I love chicken, artichokes and lemon, so I will definitely have to try this sometime. We love bread pudding around here too - it's our New Year's tradition, with warm berry sauce... *drools*

Anonymous said...

Your chicken recipe sounds quite yummy. I'll have to try that sometime for dinner, but not tonight, as I already have made other food plans.

I also enjoyed reading the poem by William Shakespeare. :)

Blessings,

-Lady Rose

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Have a delightful Valentine's Day!

Simply Tiffany said...

Jess,

It sounds like you had a loverly evening, too! We LOVE you, too and miss you like crazy...when are you coming to visit? ;)

Mmmmm, sounds YUMMY! When you DO come out here, we'll take you to The Stinking Rose!

Love ya! <3

Mikaela,

Oh, that sounds good! I made a stuffed chicken breast, sweet potato souffle, salad, French bread and chocolate truffles... It was a busy day! :)

Kathryn,

Me too! Artichokes are on sale right now...I might have to get some... :) Oooo, I like the berry sauce idea! I'll have to try that sometime! :)

Rose,

I hope your dinner was delish! Ahh, yes, that's one of my favorite sonnets. :)

Deanna,

I did, and I hope yours was lovely, too!

Post a Comment