Thursday, March 3, 2011

"To see things in the seed, that is genius."

It's that time of year around here...the skies have been blue and dotted with what I like to call cotton candy clouds. The temperatures have been scrumptious (68 today), and the days are beginning to get longer. The forecast is predicting rain and chillier weather this weekend, and since we are still in the middle of winter, I'm expecting cooler days to push the beautiful ones out of the way...but they will only make Spring more welcome!

I've never been much of a gardener...a few flowers here and there (and the Tulips that our sheep ate...), but nothing very serious. I don't know what's come over me, but I've decided to really work at it this year and I'm looking forward to watching my plants grow, making my own home remedies, and eating fruits and veggies that come from our garden. But before the glamorous stage arrives, however, there is always work to do....


A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows. ~ Doug Larson

No pain, no gain...that's the quote, right? I spent several hours outside today clearing out the vegetable garden bed. The entire bed looked like the above picture...oh, and Stinging Nettles still sting.

*sigh* Good, clean dirt. A bit on the sandy side, but still, there were a TON of worms in there, and underneath all of those weeds I discovered a good bit of soft soil, and ready or not, I'm determined to make it work! We used an empty bed in our backyard last year, but you can't see if from the house, and there was a bunch of junk in it. So, we'll use it for a different project this year and keep our veggies and herbs where I can see them.

Currently adorning our driveway are the piles of weeds for our compost. I still can't believe how much came out of that bed!

Three varieties of lettuce have been planted next to my rosemary plant. Mmmmm, I'm looking forward to a fresh garden salad!

It isn't consistently warm enough to plant everything outside, and I don't have my front bed ready for my herbs, so the solution: Egg crates! How many days until the plants start coming up? I'll try to be patient...


Speaking of being patient, our little one is due in one month! A few people have requested pictures to see "the bump", so here is one that I got the other day.

Now, off to start dinner!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for gardens!!! There's just something wonderful about getting your hands in the dirt. I started our tomatoes, peppers and basil inside earlier today, and now I am really craving warm summer veggies.

Yay for Gus!!! Can't wait to meet the bump :)

Linds

JB said...

You worked your little green thumbs to the bone! It looks great. You inspired the kiddos and I to clean the weeds out of the back flowerbed. It's contagious! Can't wait to see the baby plants. :)

Anthony said...

It looks like you have been staying busy sister.:) Even though I do not like working in dirt, it is really awesome to eat vegetables from your own garden that you put so much work into.
Love the quote by the way.:)
Well you inspired Mom any way.:)

Anton, Esq. to be

Anonymous said...

I love planting my garden beds each spring. Here in the south it is just about time to do so. Hope your garden is a great success. Gardening is good exercise but take it easy with being pregnant. You want to conserve that energy as it gets closer to baby's arrival.

Victoria

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

You are going to love having your own garden! Fresh from the garden salad is fantastic!

Your baby bump is so cute! One month to go - I bet you are excited. Remember to rest, take advantage of being able to take naps, you'll need them!

Can't wait for photos of both the baby and your garden!

Simply Tiffany said...

Linds,

I ought to blame you for getting me into this! :) Now that the bed is ready, I just need to figure out where to plant things! And then for the herb garden! I love herbs...

YES! Summer can't come soon enough! Salads, cherries, strawberries... *sigh* :)

*laughing* Neither can I! It will be nice to hold her... See you tonight!

Mumsie,

Hehe...not really, although I was a bit stiff this morning. And my light sunburn is already getting dark! Hurray! I can't wait for consistently warm days... Baby on the way, baby plants on the way...it's going to be a fun Spring!

Anton,

*laughing* You didn't want to go pull the weeds?!?! Just make sure you bring music with you! You're right, though...produce from your own garden is always the best!

Victoria,

So far it's been a fun process, and I have one more bed to prepare. I decided to keep my gardens in the front of the house, since these beds are easier to take care of. The back plot needs a bit of work...but Ben has some ideas for it this summer. I like to be able to see my garden (helps me remember to water it, too!) and the herbs will be easier to get to this way. One month to go! *smile*

Deanna,

Oh yes! My very soon to be sister-in-law is an amazing gardener, so I had several salads from her garden last year! Which is probably why I'm so inspired this year. Can't wait until they come up!

*smile* Very excited! Honestly, she couldn't come soon enough! Her room (the "spare-oom" as we call it) is just about done, her clothes are all washed and organized, her bed is set up... Now I've just got to make it through the home-stretch!

Oh, I'm sure that there will be plenty of both (but mostly the former... *grin*)!

Beth said...

Tiffany,
We started clearing our beds and transplanting strawberries here today too. This will be our 4th garden since we've been married and it is so fun to expand and change things around every year. Seeing your pictures reminded me of a song that my Mother in law always sings when she starts her garden. I thought I would post one of the verses.
Inch by inch, row by row, Lord bless these seeds I sow, Please keep them safe below, 'till the rain comes tumbling down.
Happy gardening! And congrats on your sweet "bump"! Beth from WA

Mikaela said...

Good work! I wouldn't dream of starting the garden yet here in Washington--last year we planted everything in May, and our entire garden drowned. :/ Yes, it would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic!

You have a head start, though, and I'm sure you'll be grateful for the diligent effort come summertime. And you are just about the cutest pregnant mama I've ever seen. ;-)

Simply Tiffany said...

Beth,

Oh, I am so looking forward to fresh fruit! We have so many fruit stands here during the Spring/Summer and we really enjoy getting the ugly cast offs for a really good price. I'm planning on doing a TON of canning this year with them! :)

Mikaela,

*laughing* That would be pretty sad! I know that my family has been eagerly awaiting for the gardening season to come for them...if it would only stop snowing out there!

Thanks! Not too much longer now, and our little one will be here!

Post a Comment